Poultry farming is one of the established farming sector in India.Latest studies reveals that more than two thousands of large scale poultry farms are operating profitably in India.The number of small scale poultry farms are more than sixty thousand. Eventhough the project cost of the poultry farming is high during initial Setup,the business will start to gain profit after third cycle onwards.Poultry farm business is suitable for beginners as it will provide you immediate cash flow for expanding your business.But you should have a clear business plan, necessary poultry farming information and training.With the help of different subsidy schemes from Government,more housewives started to setup small poultry farms in urban area,which boosted overall egg production in India.Still poultry egg and meat requirement is huge.India's per capita consumption of egg is 42.Department of Poultry science of various universities estimates that Egg production will cross 10000 crore by end of 2015.The compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of egg production in India is 8%.Andhra pradesh is the largest contributing state followed by Tamil Nadu,Maharashtra, Punjab,Haryana are the leading Egg producing states in India.Chicken meat industry also nourishing nowadays.The ban on Beef imposed by various states helped the poultry meat industry to grow.With the help of all these favourable situations,Poultry farming is gaining huge popularity among young entrepreneurs in India as a successful small scale business opportunity.
Today we will be Discussing about
- Setting up a small scale Poultry farm.
- Major Poultry farms/Companies in India.
- Popular Broiler Breeds in India
- Popular Layer Breeds in India
- Model Poultry project report
- Challenges faced by poultry farmers and Solutions.
- Marketing of Poultry products using modern techniques.
How to setup a small scale poultry farm
There are many things we have to take care while starting a poultry farm.You should have a clear plan on the infrastructure requirement,financial assistance/loan,market requirement,your niche,birds you farm etc.Here we will be listing down each factors briefly..
- Your Niche:It is very important that you decide your primary Niche in poultry farming.Major poultry niche are: Poultry Egg production , Poultry Meat production ,Breeding,feed production etc.
- The Bird:You should have a clear idea about the type of bird you are going to farm.You can select among various birds like chicken(Broilers and Layers),Turkey,Duck,Goose etc.
- Financial requirement/Loan:It is very important that you analyse overall cost of your farm and how you will raise the investment.Preparing a Poultry Project Report will help you to analyse and get Loan from various banks.You can approach nearest Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Krishibhavan or Department of poultry of nearest agriculture university for advice regarding Loan,subsidy etc.
- Shelter for birds:This is purely based on how you want to build and run your farm.Small scale poultry farming can be Intensive or Semi-Intensive farming system.In Intensive farming,you need all infrastructures required for a modern farm.You can opt for deep litter system or Cage system.In semi-intensive farming,you need a shelter for birds and land for them to roam around.Both Intensive and Semi-Intensive farming is suitable for small scale poultry farming.
- Feeds and Feeding equipment:You should arrange protein and calcium rich feeds for your birds.Feeding equipments plays important role by eliminating wastage and contamination of food and water.
These are some of the basic requirement of a small scale poultry farm in brief.
Major Poultry Giants in India
There are various Poultry Giants operating in India.They are targeting markets in various metro cities like Mumbai,Chennai,Delhi,Kolkatha etc and major poultry products importing states like Kerala.
- Suguna Foods is one of the pioneer in Indian Poultry Industry.They partner with various farmers and sell products through their network.Its headquarters is in Coimbatore.
- Another one is Amrit group of companies.They have offices in Coimbatore, Pune, Raipur, Gurgaon and Kolkata.
- Prabhath poultry is another successful poultry farm.They operate in Mumbai.
- Keggfarms is one of the oldest poultry farm established in 1967.The operate in Delhi region.
There are many more farms to cover.It is very important that you visit these farms and understand various practices they follow.
Popular Meat purpose(Broiler) Chicken Breeds in India
- Caribro Naked Necked
Popular Layer Breeds(For Egg production) are
- Rhode red
Model Poultry farm Project Report
This is a simplified project report for a small scale Broiler farm consisting of 500 Chicks.
Cost of Construction of Shed consisting of 800 Sq.ft=Rs.100/bird=50000.
Cost of Equipments=Rs.20/bird=10000
Electricity and other administrative Expenses=Rs.5/bird=2500
Cost of Civil works and other Miscellaneous expenses=Rs.5/bird=2500
Cost of Broiler chicks=RS.40/bird=20000
Labour and other Expenses=Rs.10000
Through sale of Broilers each weighing 2Kg.at the rate of 90/Kg=90000
Sale of Manure =Rs.5/bird=2500.
Total Revenue in one cycle=92500.
Total expense(including Captal)=135000.
The difference between Revenue and expense can be covered in further cycles.You can have minimum 5 cycles in a Year.Above calculation not considered mortality rate.
You can further optimise the expenses like Cost of Chicks and feeding expenses by preparing your own Chicks and Feeds.Any variation in feed cost will greatly affect entire profitability.
Challenges faced by Poultry farmers and Solutions
Major challenges faced by poultry farmers are...
- Labour:Since poultry farming is a labour Intensive work,people are not interested in It.Lack of availability of labours is one of the major issue in this Industry.Implementing family farming system and part time job shift will help you to get some labours.
- Diseases and Pests:There are different kinds of diseases and pests which attack birds.Providing Vaccination and ensuring the neatness of farm is the only solution for avoiding such issues.
- Fluctuating market Price:Market price of Chicken fluctuates nowadays.Any reports regarding Bird flue can affect the overall poultry market.This makes poultry farming little bit Risky.
- Bargaining of Dealers:Chicken prices are controlled by Dealers.the bargaining power of poultry farmers are very less.The only solution is to form Poultry farmers society.This will give better bargaining powers to the real farmers.
- High Feed Cost:The only solution for this issue is to prepare your own feeds.Prepare Poultry feeds by locally available grains.This will reduce overall expenses.
Marketing of Poultry Products
Marketing of Poultry products is not that much easy nowadays. Even though the market demand is high,you should use modern marketing techniques for selling of your products.You can make tie-up will local retail stores if you are a small scale farmer.If you have large volume production of Eggs or Meat,you can sign a contract with new retail chains.They prefer to procure poultry items from local market.For selling chicks and Poultry Feeds,you can advertise in local media and participate in various exhibitions and seminars.Advertising in Local Television Channels will also help you.You need to Brand your products and promote that brand name.All these will help you for better marketing of your poultry products.